Sunday, March 27, 2011

Updates

Since I last wrote, still haven't completed my brother and sister-in-law's hats but I have made progress on the sweater design class project (will try to get photo loaded next week).  Have to switch out the bag I keep it in as the current bag is getting crowded (made for smaller projects) and the sweater is my take every where project (probably the only good thing about living outside of a commuter bus area).  With the two swatches I did for this project, I decided to make all my swatches bigger and when have an adequate amount will make an afghan out of them.

In February, took a drop spindle class.  While I'm not ready to change my name to Spinasnoopy, think I could become addicted, but time will tell.  *Note to self see if can take a spinning (wheel) class at Sheep and Wool along with weaving class*.  Completed everything except weaving in the ties for hat I made for my first cousin once removed and FINALLY completed green afghan that Rosie is lying on or barely seen on bed below.

This weekend has been very productive organizationally.  Reorganized my yarn and while it is not all off of the floor (which has been my goal since inception of this blog and made more difficult by my ability to purchase yarns faster than I knit), I do feel better about where things are stashed.  Had an "a-ha!" moment when sitting on the floor Friday night.  I had taken the yarn out from underneath the day bed and was sorting out alpaca, super wash wool and hand wash, and lamenting over the fact that all my pretty Malabrigo, Koigu, Prism, etc was in the Piggly Wiggly bags (lime green bags in photo) and others that I use more often couldn't be seen/were difficult to get to.  I had just finished sorting things out and was cramming the bags back underneath the bed and looked up toward the open closet door and saw all of the acrylic and cotton yarns.  After so many years, it came to me, put these yarns under the bed and move the closet yarn to the chest and spill overs underneath the bed.  

Since it was rather late when this moment struck, reorganization had to wait till Saturday.  Knitting/crochet books also fell victim to reorganization, with the ones less frequently used (afghan/blanket books) moved to hallway bookshelf.

And yes, I actually did get some knitting done this weekend.  Have completed almost one repeat on green Every Way Wrap.  Taking me to almost having 11 of 16 repeats completed.  I so want to start another project but have way to many ongoing.  Have resolved that in 2011, I will:
  1. Always have one afghan in the works (so I can use up the acrylic yarn).  No problem on this! Currently have two in the works, a flag and a whale intarsia along with the yo-yo afghan.  The yo-yo is going to take forever since it calls for a gazillion squares.
  2. Weave in ends of projects for 1 hour each week.  This was how I managed to complete the green star afghan and have a feeling this is the only way the pumpkin mat will get done by end of September.
  3. No purchasing e-books (which take time away from knitting and other crafts), until.... have to figure out what this part will be.  Probably some sort of reward for completing X number of projects whether it be knitting, crochet, beading, sewing, etc.  
  4. Listen to books/participate in knit-alongs.  There are several groups on Ravelry that have interesting concepts (one is the project will always take 220 yards or less of yarn).  The 220 yard one will satisfy my wanting to start new projects, use my pretty yarns AND have gifts ready for Christmas or other occasions and the read-alongs will take care of the back log of started projects. 
Enough blogging for this week.  Now back to knitting for another hour or so.  

2 comments:

EGunn said...

I love the afghan! Too bad that all knitted afghans are doomed in my house. (Cats that knead can be a real pain in the neck.) Also, I have discovered that I am prone to lose interest halfway through afghan projects, which is not such a great thing. Congrats on finishing yours!

knitasnoopy said...

For me with afghans, halfway through I start to detest the thing and just want it done and out of my sight. Not true for the green star, I loved it but was having a hard time weaving in all the ends. It was done for years just a lot of ends.