Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day Three: Tidy Mind, tidy stitches

This blog started as a method for me to be "honest" about my WIP, UFO, wishlist etc.  Don't think I have achieved any of these quite yet as I know there are UFOs and WIPs that are not on the sidebar.  But let me share what I do in terms of attempting to be organized.

First there is Ravelry (if you want to look me up, my user name is Knitasnoopy).  On Ravelry, I am attempting to keep my yarn stash and library up-to-date.  As I find patterns that I like, I add tags so they can, hopefully, be found easily.  Keeping the projects up-to-date is a current weakness but I believe my notebook (will talk about this in a bit) should be able to assist me if I ever get my act together and log projects on Ravelry.

Besides Ravelry, I keep a notebook that travels with the current project I'm working on (no Rosie is not always my book stand).  It is not too big and contains everything I need to know about the current project I'm working on i.e. pattern, yarn label & sample, needles used, notes about the project.  In the back of it I am also keeping business cards for various yarn shops that I stop at during my travels.

Next I have my knitting area in my bedroom.  In this cozy little space, I have a large work basket that was purchased last fall when we went up for the crafting weekend.  In it I keep UFOs, some yarn that I would like to start knitting on soon and the extra balls of yarn for projects I'm actively working on.  It is amazing how much this can hold and how much more room there is after you complete an afghan!

Didn't take a photo of the yarn stash as it can be seen in the photo from Saturday, when I reorganized the yarn stash and readjusted the books in my library as things were getting a bit tight.  My Dad made the awesome bookshelf that houses the majority of my library.  It was purposefully made narrow for two reasons.  First we were concerned that my books would really weigh a lot and over time put too much stress on the shelves (which is why they are thick and not simple sheets of something).  Second, as it was a custom job it was made to fit exactly in the space I had at the time.

All in all, don't think I do too badly in keeping things organized.  I actually enjoy organizing things and think others may agree somewhat with this.  Wonder if I could make this into a business?

3 comments:

Renee Anne said...

So, you're going to come over and help me organize, right?

Oh, wait...that's like me asking you to make me an afghan.

I can do it myself if I just do it.

knitasnoopy said...

Are you kidding? I'd love to come over and organize (then I can see the undocumented stash!) Seriously thought sometimes it easier to have someone give you a new perspective or just lend a hand/come along for the ride.

Just let me know when you want to do this and I'll bring my measuring tape, notebook, camera and lots of ideas...

EGunn said...

Heh. My stitches must be all over the place, judging from the current state of my mind. =)

Love the bookshelf! I need to get one of those homebuilt ones; the Ikea shelves just aren't up to the weight of crafting.