Monday, March 28, 2011

Day One: A Tale of Two Yarns

Today's topic is pick two yarns that I have either used or are in my stash or which I yearn after and capture what it is I love or loathe about them.


This one is rather easy. I loath single ply yarns due to the fact that at lower weights (lower meaning anything below a super bulky) I tug, pull, whatever on the yarn too tightly and end up pulling it apart which causes excessive end weaving at the end of the project. The exception to this would have to be super bulky yarn that I knitted my green jacket with. That stuff was awesome! Lets hear it for Cascade Magnum!!


There are many yarns that I love but in the process of organizing my stash this past weekend, I realized that I have 3 skeins of Malabrigo and Prism that have very similar shading of purples with hints of green (note just a hint of green not primarily green) that I had purchased at 3 different shops/venues since November. What drew me to all of them was the colors and how incredibly soft the yarn is. 


To put it succinctly, what I love about a particular yarn is the color and then how it feels.  I have found that I have become a very tactile person both with fibers and with most things in life.  Wonder if this is true for all people who work with fiber and various other mediums?  


Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

EGunn said...

Heh. Well, if you've bought it three times you must really like it, and now you have enough for a big project! I've been drawn toward a particularly yellow shade of green lately, which is a very strange thing for me (I prefer the bluer greens, but you knew that). Haven't bought any yet, but I may have to cave in soon.