Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day Four: Where are they now?

This was the topic I seriously considered using the wild card on but will give it a try.  Have no particular projects to mention but rather what my family has done with the knitted offerings they have received over the years.

Let's start with my Dad. Dad does not do sweaters, mittens, handknit socks, scarves. the only thing I can make for him that he would wear are hats. He likes the hats I wear but he says it has to be super cold as they are so much warmer than a store bought hat. Maybe the adage about handknits are made with love and keep you warmer is true (but seeing as how is bald and I try to use really soft yarns not sure if I am buying the too warm story).

Mom, Mom pretty much loves anything I knit for her.  I have knitted her a hat which she loves (though it could be a tad bit longer, so much for making to the directions and not having the wearer try it on).  Last fall she gave me a request for purple socks which was great but rather disappointing as I had picked up some really cool red, white and blue yarn at the WI Sheep & Wool Festival a few days before.  But I made up for it, even though she doesn't know it and found a really cool purple sock yarn.  She luvs the knit socks in the winter, especially this winter as her feet have been colder, so I plan on giving her at least one pair for her birthday - good thing it is not until July.  She is also patiently waiting for a pair of double knit mittens that were started about 3-4 Christmas's ago and I really should get done this summer and give to her when we go on our 2011 fall crafting retreat.

Then there is my older brother Mike.  Mike is a wonderful guy to have come along with you when you are shopping for things as he really likes to shop and unlike our other brother, he can actually render excellent advice about why to use one item over another and color choices.  Case in point, Mike helped me pick out the yarn for my first cardigan (pink and black) which turned out very nicely for a first sweater.  When I lived with baby brother, I once made the mistake to ask him if what I was wearing looked ok/matched and lets just say lesson learned.  Mike has been patiently waiting for a vest and a cardigan for... well lets not talk about how long.  The yarn for the cardigan, I think its the cardigan but it could be the vest, is finally in the yarn basket.  I am going on the record here that I WILL HAVE the garment done for Christmas 2011 (please nudge me every once in a while to see how its coming along). Mike also loves handknit socks but they are not so fun to knit for him as he likes them really long aka knee high.  Though I did buy the kilt hose book with the express thought of knitting him a pair...

Now to my baby brother, Donny.  Excluding the socks I have given Donny, anything I given or his family, I have no idea what they've done with things or if it was given away.  With the socks, per his wife Michelle, Donny takes meticulous care of them and makes sure to lay them out flat to dry.  They have been gifted with various items i.e. scarves, sweater, shawl and there has never been a sighting on my part.  Oh well I will continue to make them things as that is what I prefer to give and if they don't like it then maybe they should put in a request so I make something they do want/would like.

2 comments:

EGunn said...

Sounds like quite a range of reactions! Giving knitting to my family is like sending it off into a black hole. I've stopped trying. Now I just knit for me (and Branden, who loves to be knit for, and would wear anything, regardless of how it did or didn't fit).

knitasnoopy said...

Branden is a treasure and I adore how he wanted McGyver.