Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day Two: Skill +1UP

Can't say that I have challenged myself greatly in the past year until recently.  Last fall I took a moebius cowl with beads and a separate beading class that went over the different methods and when you would most likely want to use each method.  So far this year I have taken a drop spindle class and sweater design class.  On Tuesday, I'm taking a lace class and in a couple of weeks all of the Sally Melville classes.   Up until these classes probably the last time I took an official class was the toe up sock class.  Guess I'm making up for lost time?


To review some of my prior projects that were difficult.  

  • I did an entrelac shawl and found several more entrelac projects I would like to do.  Though the next entrelac project, I will try my hand at reverse knitting (as opposed to turning the work back and forth constantly).  
  • Currently working on two different cable projects (Every Way Wrap and sweater design class project).  Let me tell you knitting one day on one cable project and then the next switching to the other can confuse your mind!  Almost started doing the shawl cabling on the sweater.
  • Two toe up socks at the same time.  Enjoyed how once you finished, you were done.  Only downfalls were having the two strands of yarn going at the same time and them twisting up and depending on how you worked your yarn, you either work from the center and the outside or guestimate where half of the skein would be and hope that you come up somewhat even.
  • Have a pair of double knit mittens on the needles and I really would like to finish for next winter to give to Mom. Then I can start my own double knit mittens and have toasty warm fingers!
  • The mobius cowl had a very interesting cast on (look up the Cat Bordhi moebius cast-on on Youtube) and definitely would like to do more of these.  Thinking would make a great gift for friends and family.
Goals for techniques/projects I would like to do in the next year are: 
  1. Steeking
  2. Fair Isle
  3. Intarsia
  4. Knit backwards
  5. Master Norwegian purl
  6. Tunisian crochet - did some long time ago see pumpkin mat from crafting retreat weekend
If I give a try at all of these techniques this year I will be doing very well indeed.  What sort of projects would you like to try this year?

2 comments:

EGunn said...

Sounds like a fun list of things to try! I don't know what my list would be...I'm forever changing it anyway, so I've switched from a formal list to something like a running total. Honestly, though, plain un-challenging stockinette has been what's called for lately!

knitasnoopy said...

Will see how I do on the list this year. Though I should be able to cross off a few after the next couple of classes I'm taking :)