Sunday, February 26, 2012

Never Again!

Beginning of February Mom and I went on a day trip to pick up wreaths and poinsettias from family graves and the Pioneer Scarf went on the road trip.  I was certain, I would finish the current ball of yarn and couldn't find the fourth ball (just knew it was somewhere in the UFO bin but was unable to locate it).  I wanted a second project but had nothing that was started, small, and didn't require a lot of consultation with a pattern (translation thought).  Turns out that I didn't get as much done on the trip (isn't that they way it usually goes) and after Mom suggested I recount my joins, discovered that I was currently on the fourth and last ball of yarn.

Me scrambling around for a project to take with resulted in 30 minutes of trying to pull things together for a project that I ended up not liking (the yarn and pattern were incompatible).  I vowed never again would I be stuck without a project when I need to, to coin a phrase from Gigi of The Knitmore Girls,"Run screaming out of the house" .

Oops had to restart, things got a little twisted
That led to a major cast on spree that week which resulted in:

Penny Hat (Monday)










Haven't progressed any further than what you see on the left but its sitting patiently waiting for the time I need to running screaming out of the house




2nd Paw Tracks sock-minus the paw track (Tuesday)
 The Paw Track pattern is one that I first did while out on vacation to Badlands.  I liked the construction of this toe up pattern and started another pair using Regia but wanted to simplify and did a simple 2 x 2 rib for the cuff.  Had finished the first sock a while back and I thought casting on for toe up socks were  sooo complicated that never cast on the second sock.  Well, as I was determined to cast on projects and once you get over the cast on, socks are pretty easy, I thought what the heck.  Turns out I was wrong the cast on was easy and now I'm kicking myself for all the socks that could have been knit by now.  The second sock was finished yesterday, at a birthday party for one of the shop owners of The Cat and Crow who turned 60 today.


Knit Purl Hunter Repeat Performance sock KAL (Wednesday)
 Since I now know that casting on for toe up is a piece of cake and I have two Knit Purl Hunter knit-a-long projects that are socks, decided might as well cast on some more socks. Here is sock one and will cast on sock #2. Will work it to the same point so I can do two socks at same time (note to self, check and see if have a 40-inch circular). Doing this to avoid guessing how many rows did on the first sock; hmm wonder if that is why so many people have Second Sock Syndrome.  Know that some say its because boredom of doing the same thing again, but honestly isn't all knitting the same thing Knit or Purl?

Next up was a hat for my older brother who had bought this alpaca yarn when the local coffee house had a fiber sale.  Can you believe he went and I was out of town for something so totally missed it?!? I need to grab some double points and switch to them as things are getting a little tight on the needle.  The only regret I have about the hat is that I wish I would have done a few purl rows at the turn.  For Christmas, I really need to start one of his two projects.  Probably shortly after I started knitting he selected a vest and a cardigan that he would like to knit and then we went to The Sows Ear and selected the yarn.  Erica, this is the brother who can give an opinion on color combos and since he asks for me to knit things, I gladly do this for him.

Turn a Square Hat (Thursday)

Dang, should have done some purl rows!















Friday night I worked on the Paw Tracks socks while watching the Descendants at movie theater. This was a first for me but think it was only doable as it was simple knit in the round.

All in all a very productive week (my most productive thus far).  Clocked in 12.62 hours week of February 12th.  There may be something to casting on a lot of projects...

2 comments:

Renee Anne said...

Woo-hoo! Go Becky!

EGunn said...

Well, you should be all set for a while now. I hate getting stuck with no projects! (Happens all the time, though...)

You are allowed to knit for other people, you know...just as long as they're the grateful sort and you remember to knit for you, too. =)