Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Moving on

Mid July saw my parents moving to a 55+ apartment (which they are loving) and my elder brother and I are renting their house with plans on purchasing the house if everyone likes the new living arrangement.  The week that my parents moved out was the hottest week (hopefully of the summer) and it was not so much fun. 

Earlier this week, had the realization that I may need to down size my craft belongings since my stuff will be living downstairs in the main part of the house and there are no lovely closets to stash things.  Currently have my yarn stashed in two chests plus one flat tote underneath the futon all in the living room, two cupboards in the dining room and in plastic totes underneath my bed (mind you there is still enough room for Rosie to hide out underneath the bed).  Still need to move down all the beading, sewing, stamping and scrapbooking supplies. 

While showing my cousin, who is an art teacher, my "new" living space, I asked her if she could use certain items from my crafting supplies.  She was very receptive to taking anything so there will be some purging of supplies going on over the next month or so and then I'll have her over to "shop" for things. 

This move has me seriously examining the items that I purchase and bring into the house because no matter how many bookcases, cupboards, etc you install it is nothing like a closet and if you don't have that space you need to either get very creative in how you store things, reduce what you purchase, use what you have, give some things up or in my case a combination of all of these!

3 comments:

Renee Anne said...

I've been going through my yarn stash and putting it on Ravelry (I'm owning up to what I have!). And once that's done, I'm going to be harsh and attempt to destash...

So far, I have 250+ skeins listed and 22ish up for sale/trade.

8% isn't so bad, right?

EGunn said...

So this is a really bad time to go to Stitches for the market, then. And Jefferson right behind! Hope you manage to find things that you can part with. Or, you could go for yarn as decoration and get a couple of Ikea bookshelves. Have your own little knitting shop in the diningroom. As long as you don't invite any muggles over, you'll be all set. =)

knitasnoopy said...

8% is way better than 2%. I would have a very hard time deciding which one of my precious babies to sell/trade (unless it was the acrylic which no-one would probably want)!

Oh definitely need to go to Stitches and Jefferson! I have new eyes when I look at yarns and besides there is always the possibility of new toys, books, patterns, yarn fumes to be intoxicated by, and simply the atmosphere of being around non-muggles! Wouldn't mind going to Ikea but not for bookcases, believe it or not I'm happy with how things are in my living space. The only other case going in the dining room at this time is my stamp case (another Dad creation, my Dad makes the best bookcases/shelving units for his favorite, and only, daughter).