Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day Six: Something to aspire to

Sorry was so busy getting things done yesterday that I forgot to blog.  Made a deal with myself that if I made my card for the shoebox swap had with my Mom, Aunt and cousins, posted the printer I would like to sell on Craigslist and posted the remainder of the yarn that I took photos of earlier in the week on Ravelry, I could go to Lakeside Fibers.  

LF is the first yarn shop I started going to when I learned how to knit.  Over the years it has changed appearance and ownership, but it is still a cool yarn shop.  Yesterday they had a book signing for Sheryl Theis' new book Get Hooked on Tunisian Crochet.  Tunisian crochet, also known as afghan crochet, is a cross between crochet and knitting.  Previously I have made a rug and mat though the mat has a "few" ends to be woven in and is on my short to do list as a project to complete this year. 

A year or so ago in a fit of organizing and downsizing, I gave to charity all of my Tunisian hooks and books so now I'm going to start all over with the supplies.  Part of me is sad about this because of spending money on things I had in the past.  But a bigger part of me is happy because there are now some really yummy looking hooks and the books now have things like hats, bags, sweaters, shawls, and oh yeah afghans and mats, but definitely much different than 15 years ago when I made my two projects.  So this is definitely something that I will give a whirl this year.  

Something else I would like to learn in the next year would be darning.  I currently have four pairs of socks and two of them are awaiting darning and a third is close to needing a little TLC.  There are techniques a plenty that I would like to learn but darning would be darn useful to know :)

2 comments:

EGunn said...

I've been eying that Tunisian crochet lately. My mom had one of those looong hooks, and I've always kind of wondered about how to use it...

knitasnoopy said...

I will bring the book to work on Friday. Hopefully everyone will be able to come and knit.